Allée Louison Bobet, 92300 Levallois-Perret, France #1412
Open-air single walled fronton
- Allée Louison Bobet, 92300 Levallois-Perret, France
Coordinates GPS (latitude, longitude):
- decimal notation: 48.89202, 2.297141
- sexagesimal notation: 48° 53' 31.272", 2° 17' 49.7076"
Nearby frontons (less than 5 kilometers)
- 92300 Levallois-Perret, France - #3168 (Left walled fronton • 20 meters)
- 75017 Paris, France - #3370 (Open-air single walled fronton • 1.3 kilometers)
- 93400 Saint-Ouen, France - #812 (Open-air single walled fronton • 3.6 kilometers)
- 75015 Paris, France - #1358 (Trinquet • 4.7 kilometers)
- 75007 Paris, France - #3278 (Open-air single walled fronton • 4.9 kilometers)
Every day 3 interesting facts!
📚 The Basque pelota (Euskal pilota) includes several ball games derivated from the Jeu de Paume. In most specialties, the game consists of sending, volley or after a rebound, the ball against a main wall, named fronton, so that it falls on the playground named cancha. The point continues until a team commits a foul (falta) or fails to raise the ball before the second rebound.
🤓 A fronton is a wall against which one plays Basque pelota. It is an architectural element present in almost all the towns and villages of the French Basque Country and, to a lesser extent, in the neighboring regions.
The open-air single walled fronton is a generally uncovered ground composed of a wall, or two (one at each end). There are frontons of all sizes (10 to 16 meters wide and 6 to 10 meters high), some are even covered.
In Basque, this place is called "plaza".
🌎 A large number of Basques (commonly referred to as "Basque diaspora") have left the Basque Country to emigrate mainly to South America and the United States.
It is sometimes called the "eighth province" of the Basque Country, which counts seven (Labourd, Soule, Lower Navarre, Navarre, Biscay, Álava and Gipuzkoa).
The diaspora actively promotes its identity through its traditional activities, such as dance, gastronomy, Basque games and, of course, Basque pelota.
👉 See all open-air single walled frontons
Added on October 04 2014
Last modified on September 18 2019