6273 Kukuluiako Bidea, 64250 Itxassou, France #5527
Open-air single walled fronton
- 6273 Kukuluiako Bidea, 64250 Itxassou, France
Coordinates GPS (latitude, longitude):
- decimal notation: 43.282064, -1.426383
- sexagesimal notation: 43° 16' 55.4304", -1° 25' 34.9788"
Nearby frontons (less than 5 kilometers)
- 64250 Itxassou, France - #841 (Open-air single walled fronton • 3.7 kilometers)
- 31700 Baztan, Spain - #277 (Open-air single walled fronton • 4.2 kilometers)
- 64250 Itxassou, France - #738 (Open-air single walled fronton • 4.2 kilometers)
- 64250 Espelette, France - #737 (Open-air single walled fronton • 4.9 kilometers)
Every day 3 interesting facts!
📚 The Basque pelota (Euskal pilota) includes several ball games derivated from the Jeu de Paume. In most specialties, the game consists of sending, volley or after a rebound, the ball against a main wall, named fronton, so that it falls on the playground named cancha. The point continues until a team commits a foul (falta) or fails to raise the ball before the second rebound.
🤓 A fronton is a wall against which one plays Basque pelota. It is an architectural element present in almost all the towns and villages of the French Basque Country and, to a lesser extent, in the neighboring regions.
The open-air single walled fronton is a generally uncovered ground composed of a wall, or two (one at each end). There are frontons of all sizes (10 to 16 meters wide and 6 to 10 meters high), some are even covered.
In Basque, this place is called "plaza".
🌎 A large number of Basques (commonly referred to as "Basque diaspora") have left the Basque Country to emigrate mainly to South America and the United States.
It is sometimes called the "eighth province" of the Basque Country, which counts seven (Labourd, Soule, Lower Navarre, Navarre, Biscay, Álava and Gipuzkoa).
The diaspora actively promotes its identity through its traditional activities, such as dance, gastronomy, Basque games and, of course, Basque pelota.
👉 See all open-air single walled frontons
Added on April 08 2022